Sunday, October 2, 2011

It's a Girl!~ A beautiful little daughter has come to our family!

It's hard to believe that almost two weeks ago a precious little (okay, not so little!) daughter was born to our family, making us a family of four! In honor of this special event and in celebration of her two week "birth" day on Wednesday, we give to you our dear, sweet
                                                         Eliza Jane Faith 
                                                                and the story of her birth~

One week old~

I woke up in the early morning of the 21st of September, 4 days past my "due date". I needed to use the bathroom (a typical nightly routine of the pregnant female species!) and when I got back into bed I couldn't get comfortable and was feeling a lot of lower pelvic pressure accompanied by some vague contractions. I didn't think anything of it. I had been experiencing this sort of thing on and off for about two weeks now and after having tried a bunch of different natural ways to get labor started with no such success, I decided it was going to be what it was going to be... But as I lay there in bed, these contractions became stronger and more focused and after my 4th trip to the bathroom within 5 minutes only to sit on the toilet with the sensation of having to "go" but nothing, I decided it was time to wake up Zach. I looked at the time- 3:50am.

As soon as I woke up Zach I had a contraction that confirmed to me that THIS WAS IT! I hugged his knees and breathed trough it. The realization hit me of what I was about to go through, and sensing my slight hesitation and weariness, Zach, so sweetly put his hand on my back and said "Meg, this is wonderful! You can do this! Everything is going to be okay!" I felt assured and loved and knew he was right. We called the midwives at 4:15am and after a priesthood blessing I told him to fill up the Birth Tub.

While Zach and Misty prepared the room for the birth, I found myself in the kitchen, eyes closed, rocking back and forth, rubbing my belly. It was dark, quiet, calm and peaceful. Only the dim light of the living room lamp was shedding it's light throughout our home. I talked to the baby, reassuring him/her that it was okay and that we'd do this together.

As contractions continued to build in frequency and intensity I couldn't help but feel a closeness to my Savior, Jesus Christ, that I have never before felt. He knew what I was going through and about to go through. He had been through it himself when he suffered for the sins of the world in Gethsemane. His atoning act would bring forth eternal life for each of us, and here I was, in a very small way, reflecting his selfless act through the sacrifice it takes in birth to bring forth a new life into this world. It was a tender moment I will never forget. A moment that brought the comforting, encircling arms of my Elder Brother to me in a very real way through the entire birth process.

It was my plan to do the majority of my laboring in the birth tub. I have had several friends who swear by it, so it was my turn to give it a try. I got into the tub at about 4:40am and the midwives arrived shortly after. Being in the warm water was wonderful!!! I could move with ease and the warmth soothed the intensity of my contractions that were readily upon us. But what made it completely manageable and most comfortable was to have the loving embrace and encouragement of my tender Husband. Zach was my hero that day. I couldn't have done it without him. He held the protected space for me to bring forth our second child- we had created this beautiful baby together, and together we were bringing forth him/her into this world. My love for him grew again as he stayed with me, taking upon himself some of the burden I was carrying physically and emotionally~
I leaned into him the whole time while he supported my belly during each contraction

We used the "Hypnobabies" method of childbirth this time, (which we highly recommend to anyone interested! It is amazing!) and it helped me to stay so relaxed and at peace as my contractions changed from dilating to pushing. Instead of tensing up, I focused on opening and relaxing and thanks to the "tools" we acquired in this home-study course, and with Zach's gentle prompts and reminders, I was accomplishing this with ease and little effort.

I could feel the baby descending and knew it was only a matter of time before I'd have him/her in my arms. It surprised me when I felt the need to push because I didn't feel like I had been in labor for that long. My midwives encouraged me to continue on and to do what felt right and natural- so I did. And within a matter of minutes I felt the baby's head crowning. The joy that overcame me when I reached down and felt our baby's head was the very encouragement I needed to finish birthing his/her body. Assisted by my midwife, our darling baby was born at 5:53am, just over 2 hours from when first I woke up.

seconds after her birth

amazed and in love all over again

A GIRL! We had a second daughter!! The love that filled the room was heavenly. I looked down at her with the love that only a mother knows when seeing her child for the first time. She was perfect in every way~ a gift, a miracle, a blessing from heaven...our baby~

We got out of the Tub and into bed where Emma came to meet her new little sister. The moments that proceeded are some of the most treasured I have from the whole experience. Glimpses of eternity and family and love filled the room. Tears of joy were shed. Happiness was felt in a new way. A bond between parent and child and sister to sister was solidified. Everything was just perfect.


Meet your sister!!!

Emma kept pointing and saying "baby!" She even tried to share her soother (pacifier) with the baby. I couldn't help but think of the deep love and friendship these sisters would share as they grow up. I was so excited to introduce them because it reminded me of my sister, Lindsay, who's 15 months younger than me, and the fun we had growing up together.

Emma sat with her hand on my shoulder for a long time~ I love her sooo much!

Sharing her soother~

Bonding~

My wonderful Birth Team! Plus Misty who is taking our picture!

Calling the family with our "Good news"!

Sometimes Eternity doesn't seem long enough! I love that guy!!

No greater joy than being a mother~

Dadda cutting the cord


Emma watching as the Baby gets weighed!

22 inches long! And getting ready to weigh the baby...

10Lbs 10oz!!!!  Way to go momma!!!

Our girls!

A few hours old
When all was said and done it felt like a dream. Everything had happened so perfectly. I felt so blessed. It took a lot of faith for me to have this baby. Having two babies close in age is one thing, but knowing this baby was going to be big like Emma and having endured a 3rd degree tear with Emma's birth, it was not something I ever wanted to go through again. Emma's birth was beautiful and wonderful and I wouldn't change a thing about it... but the thought of tearing again worried me, and I had to exercise faith in a way I never have before. I put my trust in God and the promised blessings that had been given to me. I learned for myself that faith and fear cannot exist together, and I came to a place where I feared nothing because I knew that the Lord would take care of me, as he always has. And with the deepest joy and gratitude in my heart, after Eliza's birth I had only received a small skin tear, not long or deep enough to need even one stitch! A miracle~ hence her second middle name, Faith~

a few hours later, looking at the baby


one day old


we love big babies!

Recovery has been fast and great! Thanks so my dear, sweet Mother-in-law, Misty, I was able to spend the first week after the baby's birth resting in bed, bonding with our new baby and eating good food! Misty had come to take care of Emma for us during the birth and afterwards. She ended up coming a week early as I was convinced this baby would come sooner then later and predicting it would be fast, we wanted her here in advance! However, with no baby after a week, she had actually decided she would go home the following morning.... well, early that morning was when I went into labor! Perfect timing! So she got to be there and I'm so glad she was!
a few days old



smiles


Eliza will be two weeks old on Wednesday! I can't believe how fast time has gone. She has already grown so much! She is a great nurser, and sleeps a lot, even at night! There are so many things we love about her. She has brought so much joy and happiness into our little growing family already. She smiles almost every time we kiss the corner of her mouth. She giggles in her sleep, and when Emma comes over to hug and kiss her and point out all of her body parts (as only a 14 month old can!) Eliza just stares up into her eyes and becomes fixated on her. Seeing their sisterly love is so special. Emma adores her little sister and is not jealous at all... after all, Eliza IS her baby ;)

We enjoyed this weekend spent together, the four of us, listening to General Conference (www.lds.org) and being uplifted and inspired by the messages shared. A talk was given on parenthood/motherhood by Elder Anderson. In it he said, "Motherhood isn't something we do if we have time...Motherhood is what God gave us time for".  I LOVE my work and time spent as a Mother. I cherish it. No greater joy and happiness I have ever felt anywhere else than within the walls of my own home, caring for and raising these sweet little daughters, and teaching them in the ways of truth. I thank my Father in Heaven for blessing me with such richness- richness that isn't found in money or things- but a richness that is found in the smiles, laughter, hugs and kisses of these little children....
Kisses for baby sister!
Oh could life get any sweeter?!

9 comments:

  1. Meghan! She is so precious! Thanks for posting your story, it is very inspirational, and very sweet. You truly have a beautiful little family. I love my darling little nieces and can't wait to meet Eliza! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Megan and Zach!! What a beautiful story of your new sweet daughter. What a blessing to have this quick delivery, even though she was 10lbs. You are a miracle Mom. Sure love all the pictures and hope your days continue to go well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I haven't been on the computer much at all lately b/c of our move and how crazy it's all been, but I happened to get on FB tonight and what a blessing was waiting there! I am so happy for you and Zach. Your daughters are so blessed to have you both! I'm so glad that all went well. Congrats!!!

    Sending a hug and best wishes from UT... :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. I especially love what you included about Elder Anderson's talk about motherhood. Amen. Thank you for sharing all the details and pictures of Eliza's delivery. You make it such a beautiful, natural (and easy! 2 hours? wow!) event. Your family is beautiful and definitely blessed by yours and Zach's many small, but important decisions in life. You are one of my inspirations. "When I grow up, I wanna be just like you!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I feel blessed to have read this post and feel so close to you all. I am so over joyed for your family and the eternal happiness you all feel. Thanks for sharing your tiny bit of heaven with me. Welcome Eliza Jane faith. What a beautiful name. Emma and Eliza are so blessed to have parents that love each other like you two do, and parents that love the Lord. What a great way for me to start my day. Many thanks for sharing. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU for remembering who gave that talk and the quote Elder Anderson said. I just loved it. AND congratulations on the birth and your new joy. I love it and love you with all your faith and love you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah...Zach and Meghan...this is a beautiful post!! Tears just flowed down my cheeks as I read your beautiful experience...thank you so much for sharing your testimony with me and your experience! I am so blessed to have you in my life! I love you and look forward to the day we can actually meet and embrace! Give those two little angels big kisses and loves from their far away Aunt Lisa and tell them I love them too. xoxo
    You were in my thoughts and prayers and I'm so thankful Father looked after you all and all is well. You are a beautiful example to us! (And yes, Elder Anderson's talk was one of my favorites too...my newest grandbaby (and her mommy and daddy---Daniel and Mindi) were in the Conference Center listening to that session when Elder Anderson spoke...it was such a faith builder for them as well. =)

    Love you and take care...Hugs and Kisses to you all...
    Aunt Lisa xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meghan, I must say that I got teary eyed reading this post. The Spirit just exudes from you, and I hope to be just as good as you one day! Also, this makes me want to do a home birth SO badly. Thank you for sharing your story...and CONGRATS! Her name is beautiful, and she is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg what a beautiful story. I love it. She's only .01 lbs smaller than my daughter at birth! How fun! You are such an example. I love you! Miss you tons

    ReplyDelete